The school was built in the grounds of Throapham Manor, and was opened by Sir Percy Jackson in 1935 as Dinnington Senior Boys’ School and Dinnington Senior Girls’ School. It consisted of a single timber building divided into girls’ and boys’ departments. In 1938 the building was extended and a separate gymnasium added.
In 1957 the two halves merged to form the coeducational Dinnington Secondary Modern School, and at that point there were already plans for a further merger with the secondary technical element of the neighbouring Dinnington Chelmsford Technical College to create the area’s first comprehensive school.
This comprehensive school, Dinnington High School, opened on 23 September 1963 (a formal opening taking place a year later, conducted by Jack Longland). The area between the two merging establishments was developed with a new campus designed by Hardy Glover of Basil Spence & Partners. This campus consisted of four house bases and a sixth form college, along with a new main hall and a second gym. The four houses took their names and badges from historical local land-owning families
Dinnington High School is located on a superb and extensive campus with over 30 acres of grounds and superb views towards Gainsborough, within easy distance of Derbyshire’s Peak District and other areas of outstanding natural beauty; and also within easy commuting distance of Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster and Worksop. It benefits from an excellent location, just 3 miles from the M1, and giving access to all major road networks in the region
To find out more information about Dinning High School, please feel free to visit their homepage found here.
We look forward to welcoming you into the school in the future!